Last update 5th Jan 2018
Index of Films held by
Useful Family History Sites
The FHC Portal allows FREE access in FHCs to Premium Websites containing:
· 19th Century British News-papers Digital Archive
· Access Newspaper Archive
· Alexandra Street Press
· ArkivDigital on-line
· The Genealogist
· Godfrey Memorial Library
· Paper Trail
· World Vital Records
Welcome to the Home Page of
Tel: 0118 941 0211
General Open Times:
Monday 10.00am to 3.00pm
Friday 10.00am to 3.00pm
people or a group want to attend on another day we will try and meet that
closed on bank and other holiday periods.
Films held by the Reading Family History Centre
The Reading Family History Centre used to have over 4,000 commonly used films on permanent loan which could be viewed free of charge by patrons, however many of the could be viewed on-line either as images or transcript and all but about 100 films have been returned to FamilySearch in Frankfurt. The list of these films and their description will be seen by clicking Films.csv (Text index of films we hold in comma separated value format) and then search by using your browser search facility (Ctrl+F). Please let me know if there are any errors and what the correction should be - email (UK_Reading @ LDSMail.net)).
Documents held by the Reading Family History Centre
The Reading Family History Centre has a number of commonly used films/fiche on permanent loan and other documents which can be viewed free of charge by patrons. However, as these can now be viewed on line they are in the process of being returned to FamilySearch in Frankfurt.
Alan & Christine Johnson were called as directors of the Family History Centre in October 2005. Currently we have about 4 LDS staff who serve in the centre. We can be contacted by email (UK_Reading @ LDSMail.net) or phone 0118 941 0211.
The Family History Centre is part of the Reading England Stake and meets in the Stake meeting house. The location can be found by clicking here.
Reading England Stake consists of the following Wards: Basingstoke, Bracknell, Farnborough, Newbury, Oxford 1, Oxford 2, Reading and Woodley.
We currently have
· two film readers and two fiche readers
· two digital film/fiche scanner printer
· one document/picture scanner
· seven desk top computers with free access to the internet and many premium internet websites such as Ancestry.com, FindMyPast, The Genealogist etc.
· Many affiliate software programs to synchronise your personal data with FamilySearch Family Tree such as Ancestral Quest.
FamilySearch Family Tree
1. All church members and community members can now register on FamilySearch Family Tree. They will need an LDS or FamilySearch Account to sign in.
2. Priesthood Leaders and Family History Consultants can register at https://www.familysearch.org/consultant/ to gain access to the training. They will need an LDS Account to register.
There are some useful documents and a presentation that are provided to help you as follows:
Guide to Temple and Family History Work -
Online Film Ordering
As most films/fiche are now on-line, the
FamilySearch Online Film Ordering service has been withdrawn