Last update 20th Aug 2013
Index of Films held by
Reading England Stake
Useful Family History Sites
The FHC Portal Premium Websites (Only available from FHC Computers)
· 19th Century British News-papers Digital Archive
· Access Newspaper Archive
· Alexandra Street Press
· ArkivDigital on-line
· The Genealogist
· Godfrey Memorial Library
· Paper Trail
· World Vital Records
Welcome to the Home Page of
Tel: 0118 941 0211
The FamilySearch Family Tree is now available for all to use – click here, sign in to FamilySearch, go to the “Family Tree” tab and have a play!
General Open Times:
Monday 10.00am to 3.00pm
Tuesday Not open (see note 1)
Wednesday 7.30pm to 9.00pm 2nd and 4th only (see note 1)
Thursday Not open (see note 1)
Friday 10.00am to 3.00pm
Saturday Not open (see note 1)
We are open
on Mondays, Fridays and 2nd & 4th Wednesday
evenings. If several people want to attend on another day we will try and
meet that request.
2. We are closed on bank and other holiday periods
3. Click here for detailed open days and times.
Films held by the Reading Family History Centre
The Reading Family History Centre has a number of commonly used films on permanent loan. These can be viewed free of charge by patrons. The list of films and their description can be seen by clicking Films.csv (comma separated value) and then search by using your browser search facility (Ctrl+F). Please let me know if there are any errors and what the correction should be. (email (UK_Reading @ LDSMail.net)).
Documents held by the Reading Family History Centre
The Reading Family History Centre has a number of commonly used fiche on permanent loan and other documents which can be viewed free of charge by patrons.
Alan & Christine Johnson were called as directors of the Family History Centre in October 2005. Currently we have about 4 LDS staff who serve in the centre. We can be contacted by email (UK_Reading @ LDSMail.net) or phone 0118 941 0211.
The Family History Centre is part of the Reading England Stake and meets in the Stake meeting house. The location can be found by clicking here.
Reading England Stake consists of the following Wards: Basingstoke, Bracknell, Farnborough, Newbury, Oxford 1, Oxford 2, Reading and Woodley.
We currently have
· four film readers and four fiche readers
· one digital film/fiche scanner printer
· one document/picture scanner
· eight desk top computers with free access to the internet and many premium internet websites such as Ancestry.com, FindMyPast, The Genealogist etc.
· Many affiliate software programs to synchronise your personal data with FamilySearch Family Tree.
· about 4,000 films
· about 15,000 fiche
New.familysearch.org has been superseded by FamilySearch Family Tree. Please go to FamilySearch and use Family Tree. See below.
FamilySearch Family Tree
1. All church members and community members can now register on FamilySearch Family Tree. They will need an LDS or FamilySearch Account to register.
2. Priesthood Leaders and Family History Consultants can register at https://www.familysearch.org/consultant/ to gain access to the training. They will need an LDS Account to register.
There are some useful documents and a presentation that are provided to help you as follows:
Guide to Temple and Family History Work -
Online Film Ordering
The FamilySearch Online Film Ordering service is your gateway to a vast collection of genealogical and historical records. The service allows you to reserve and loan films to family history centres and affiliate libraries. The loan is free, but there is a small shipping and handling charge for each film.
Ordering is simple:
Sign in to FamilySearch using and LDS or FamilySearch Account by clicking the ‘Sign In’ link in the top right corner. If you do not have an account, clicking the Sign In link will prompt you to Create New Account if needed.
Click on ‘Search’ and then ‘Catalog’ to search for the film required. Click on the film number to take you to the online film ordering page.
Note: Before ordering any film, check to make sure the Family History Library Catalog does not have a digital copy online or that your chosen FHC does not hold a copy.
Select your loan type and the add to order. Follow the instructions to pay for the loan.
The current (August 2013) costs for ordering microfilms and microfiche on-line are as follows:
1. Short-term loan: £7.50/film for just less than 3 months hire
2. Extended loan: £18.75/film. These films have no return date, so remain in our FH Centre until requested to be returned.
3. Renewed loan: £7.50/film for 3 months hire
4. Microfiche: *£3.00/call number. Microfiche remain in a FHC after use.
*Microfiche are charged per FHL Catalogue number, regardless of how many fiche are assigned to the call number.
After placing your on-line film order, you will receive an e-mail saying the order has been received and also when it is shipped to the FHC. The progress of the order may be seen at any time by logging into the on-line film ordering account.
Back to Alan
and Christine’s Home Page